8 Ways To Fix Forza Horizon 4 Shuttering And FPS Dropping Issue On Windows
Forza Horizon 4 is one of the best racing games to test your mettle against other racers. But when you play the game on Windows PC, you may experience shutter issues and low FPS. Both issues result from misconfigured game settings and system file corruption.
Luckily, it’s quite easy to fix the problem. Just try the solutions below to get rid of the problem permanently.
1. Disable Game Bar
Game Bar is the GUI that helps you record games, take screenshots, and save clips. But the application consumes a lot of system resources to do all this.
So, if you don’t care much about recording gameplays, consider turning off this feature to get better FPS in-game. You can do that by following the steps below.
- Open the Settings menu using one of many ways to open the settings menu.
- Picking out Games from the left pane.
- Click on the Xbox game bar option.
- Disable the toggle next to the Enable Xbox Game Bar.
Then relaunch the game and check if you are still facing the issue.
2. Download the latest graphics driver update
A graphics driver, also known as a GPU or video card, allows the operating system and applications to use the system’s graphics hardware. To play graphics-centric games like Forza Horizon 4, you need to download the latest graphics drivers to get the best hardware performance.
You can download the latest graphics driver update by following the steps below.
- Hurry Win + X keyboard shortcuts and choose Device Manager from the context menu.
- Double-click Screenshot taken.
- Right-click on the installed graphics driver and select Update driver from the context menu.
- Click on Automatically search for drivers.
Now wait for the update process to complete. Once done, reboot the system and check for the problem.
3. Close all memory consuming applications
One of the biggest reasons for low FPS and stuttering issues in any game, including Forza Horizon 4, are apps running in the background. It turns out that these applications consume a lot of system resources.
After closing all these programs, the system will move the memory to the game, which will automatically increase its performance. You can close all unnecessary background programs using Task Manager. Here’s how.
- Open the Task Manager using Ctrl + Shift + Esc keyboard shortcuts.
- In the Process tab, right click on all memory consuming apps like Microsoft Edge, and choose Final task.
Besides Task Manager, there are other ways to close background applications in Windows. You can check the guide to close the program without task manager.
4. Defrag hard drive
To get a faster and smoother experience on a Windows PC, it’s good to upgrade to an SSD. But if you don’t have the money to upgrade, make sure the hard drive is defragmented.
Here are the steps to defrag hard drive.
- press the To win key to open the The Start menu.
- Type defragmentation and press Walk in.
- Right-click on the disk drive and choose To optimise.
Wait for the process to complete. You can even schedule the defragmentation process. In doing so, drivers will be analyzed and optimized on an hourly basis.
5. Change power options
Windows allows you to change the power option depending on the power consumption of the machine. By default, the power setting is set to balanced mode, which gives equal importance to performance and battery. But to play graphics-oriented games like Forza Horizon 4, better upgrade to the Best performance plan. Here’s how.
- Open Settings > Power and battery.
- Click the drop-down icon next to Supply Mode and choose Better performance from the menu.
6. Change game settings
Being a modern title, Forza Horizon 4 offers plenty of options to increase the graphics quality and get a realistic gaming experience. But using high settings on a low-end PC can hurt overall gaming performance.
So, to get better FPS and eliminate the stuttering problem, consider playing the game on low settings. Here are the changes you need to make.
- Dynamic optimization – On
- Dynamic rendering quality – Medium
- FPS – Choose according to monitor refresh rate.
- Vertical synchronization – Stopped
- Full screen – On
Next, go to advanced settings and make the following changes.
- The shadow of the night – Stopped
- The quality of shadow – Down
- Motion blur quality – Normal
- Environment texture quality – Normal
- Static Geometry Quality – Medium
- Dynamic Geometry Quality – Medium
- MSAA – 2X
- FXAA – Stopped
- Shader quality – Medium
- Quality of particle effects – Medium
- lens effect – Medium
- SSR quality – Medium
- Mirror quality – High
- Reflection quality – Medium
7. Repair game files
Forza Horizon 4 files can get corrupted or missing due to various reasons. And when this happens, you will experience shuttering and low FPS issues in the game. As a solution, you will need to repair the game files. You can do this by using the inbuilt repair utility of Steam.
Here are the exact steps you need to follow.
- Open the Steam client.
- Go to Library tongue.
- Right click on Forza Horizon 4 and choose Properties from the context menu.
- Select Local files from the left pane.
- Click on Verify integrity of game files.
Steam will now scan for and replace corrupt game files.
8. Run the game with the dedicated graphics card
It is obvious to face shuttering and low FPS issues on Forza Horizon 4 if it is running on integrated graphics instead of a dedicated GPU. You need to run the game on the dedicated GPU to fix the issue. Here’s how.
- Open the Nvidia Control Panel.
- Picking out 3D settings in the left pane > Manage 3D settings.
- Switch to Program settings.
- Click on To add.
- Select Forza Horizon 4 from the list and choose Add selected program.
- Click the drop-down icon under Select the preferred graphics processor for this program and choose High performance NVIDIA processor.
- Click on Apply.
Launch the game and you will notice that you get relatively better performance in-game.
Forza Horizon 4 stuttering and low FPS issue, fixed
These are all the fixes to get rid of the stuttering and low FPS issue on Forza Horizon 4. But if you are still having the issue, consider reinstalling the game as a last resort solution.