How to use spatial audio with AirPods
- AirPods spatial audio is a feature that makes you feel like you’re on a soundstage by providing an immersive surround sound experience.
- To hear a spatial audio demo, tap the “i” to the right of your AirPods in your iPhone or iPad’s Bluetooth settings and choose the spatial audio option.
- You can listen to spatialized audio content with AirPods on recent iPhones or iPads, as well as the Apple TV 4K or the new MacBook Pro.
- Visit Insider’s Technical Reference Library for More Stories.
Spatial Audio is a feature introduced by Apple for AirPods Pro, Third Generation AirPods, and AirPods Max. It offers an immersive surround sound experience for music and video. Spatial audio puts you in a 360-degree soundstage that stays anchored in the world around you, instead of changing orientation when you turn your head.
Spatial audio means the stereo separation of musical instruments can revolve around you as you walk and spin with AirPods, for example, making you feel like music is surrounding you rather than being transmitted through headphones.
How to listen to a spatial audio demo with AirPods
Apple designed the spatial audio in AirPods to work more or less automatically, with no configuration required. To get a feel for the sound, you can listen to a demo that Apple has embedded in the settings, then turn it on for supported content. To listen to a spatial audio demo with your compatible AirPods, follow these steps:
1. On your iPhone or iPad, start the Settings application and press Bluetooth.
2. Find your AirPods Pro and tap the “I “icon To the right.
3. Faucet Spatial audio.
4. You can switch between stereo and spatial audio to hear the difference in that audio format.
How to listen to spatial audio with an iPhone or iPad
You can switch between spatial audio and regular two-channel audio with just a few clicks. You can do this on your iPhone or iPad, as well as an Apple TV 4K or MacBook Pro, which we’ve detailed below.
Here’s how to use the feature on an iPhone or iPad.
1. While wearing your AirPods and listening to music or watching videos encoded in spatial audio, open Control Center on your iPhone or iPad by pulling it down from the top right corner of the screen.
2. Press and hold the volume slider until the volume slider page fills the screen.
3. Find it Spatial audio Where Spatialize stereo icon at the bottom of the screen. If enabled, it will be blue and indicate At. To turn it on or off, just press the button.
How to listen to spatial audio with an Apple TV 4k
1. While wearing your AirPods and listening to music or watching a video encoded in spatial audio, press and hold Home on your remote until Control Panel appears.
2. Select the AirPods.
3. To select Spatial audio Where Spatialize stereo to activate or deactivate the function.
How to listen to spatial audio with a MacBook Pro
1. While wearing your AirPods and listening to music or watching videos encoded in spatial audio, click the Control Center icon at the top of the screen.
2. Click on Bluetooth.
3. Find your AirPods in the list of
devices, then choose Spatial audio Where Spatialize stereo to activate the effect.