OnlyOffice adds fillable forms compatible with Microsoft Office and Adobe
Creating an online form can be difficult. Even if you know what you are doing and the fields are set correctly, changes may be needed later. Then there’s the potential problem of sharing and distributing, collecting the data…it can get messy.
The team behind OnlyOffice seems to have an answer. A new type of online form, the OFORMhas been developed to facilitate the creation, collaboration and completion of forms.
Why online forms are increasingly important
Chances are you have filled out an online form in the past. It may have been embedded into a webpage or presented to you for signature—perhaps a contract—on a website, desktop, or mobile device.
Online forms can be used for a variety of tasks. Collecting Data, Submitting Data, and Signing an Authorization or Agreement. Loan applications, insurance, mortgage contracts, employment contracts, HP offers — the documentation for all of this and much more has been moved to digital since 2020.
As online forms become more prevalent, their underlying technology needs to become more flexible. This is where the OFORM format comes into play.
OFORM: designed specifically to create fillable forms
An OFORM is based on a form created using a template in DOCXF format. With a name derived from the term “inline form”, OFORM combine the content control features of Microsoft Office with support for Adobe forms. OFORMs are open source and can be hosted online.
They’re nearly indistinguishable from forms you’ve filled out before, but have a more streamlined and collaborative design. All standard document types can be developed with OFORMs, with the results ready to be stored on supported cloud platforms, such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Nextcloud, etc.
Forms can be created using OnlyOffice in your browser, on desktop, or in any mobile app suitable for your hardware. Real-time collaboration features support commenting, mentioning, reviewing and tracking changes, as well as version checking, with built-in chat. For mobile work, there is a plugin for the Telegram chat app.
Think of it this way: standard formats don’t support flexible form design. In many cases, the desire for data collection outweighs the need for a usable form.
9 reasons to use OFORMs
Need more conviction? Here are some particularly compelling reasons to build all future online forms with OFORMs.
- Form fields can be defined as almost anything
- Fields can be grouped for easy arrangement and manipulation
- Fields can be defined as needed, with support for text fields, combo boxes, drop-down lists, checkboxes, radio buttons and images
- Border, background images and highlight/accent colors can be changed
- Forms can be previewed at each step
- Collaborators can work together or remotely to develop new forms
- OFORMs can be shared online, exported as documents or PDF
- Forms can be completed locally, online or on a mobile device
- As with all OnlyOffice documents, OFORMs are compatible with Microsoft Office formats
You can also get started with OnlyOffice and OFORMs with just a Google, Facebook or LinkedIn account. It’s so easy.
How to create a form with OFORMs
Creating an OFORM in OnlyOffice is as easy as creating a form with any other software. The difference is that an OFORM form has greater flexibility.
- To get started, you can create a DOCXF form template from scratch, use an existing document, or download a template from the OnlyOffice library.
- With the template open, add the required fields. Your choices here will of course depend on the intent of the form.
- As you progress through the form creation process, make sure you have defined the properties for each field. These should encourage and enable the person filling out the form to submit the information you wish to collect.
- You can preview the form during creation to see how it looks, making further changes as needed. When satisfied, it can be saved in OFORM format.
- The form is then ready to be shared and can be distributed, filled out and returned in DOCX or PDF format.
Creating an OFORM form is simple, hassle-free and, if necessary, can be reviewed and revised by a collaborator.
You can even sell your forms in the OnlyOffice library
Incredibly, OFORMs can even earn you money.
While the OnlyOffice library offers a wealth of pre-designed and free forms (and other documents), these are just the tip of the iceberg of what is possible with OFORMs. Chances are you’re creating a form that hasn’t been done yet. If so, the OFORM can be downloaded from the OnlyOffice library.
Once available for other users to download, your OFORM submission can generate revenue! If you’re interested or looking for some form-based inspiration, the OnlyOffice library already has several forms ready to download. You can view them in your browser at offorms.onlyoffice.com.
OnlyOffice OFORMs could change expectations of online forms
Standard online forms are functional and serve their purpose, but they lack flexibility. OnlyOffice has created a new form format which is likely to change the way we use online forms.
With more versatility in the design and collaboration stage, OFORM are compatible with Microsoft Office content control features, Adobe forms, can be used online and are even open source.
Real-time collaboration, online sharing, and the ability for end users to submit forms on any suitable platform or device are just a few of the features offered. More importantly, OFORM has enough to potentially define how we build and distribute online forms for the foreseeable future.
We hope you like the items we recommend and discuss! MUO has affiliate and sponsored partnerships, so we receive a revenue share from some of your purchases. This will not affect the price you pay and helps us provide the best product recommendations.
The Command Prompt is still a powerful Windows tool. Here are the most useful CMD commands that every Windows user should know.
About the Author